July 22, 2013

Review: Frigid by J. Lynn

July 22, 2013

Jennifer L. Armentrout, penned as J. Lynn for her New Adult genre novels, has a new book out and don't let the title fool you because this book is pretty steamy. It is written in dual alternating POVs between Sydney and Kyler. 

Due to some strong language and sexual situations, this may not be suitable for readers under the age of 17.

Title: Frigid
Series: Frigid #1
Author: J. Lynn
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary
Publication Date: July 15, 2013
Genre: New Adult

For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn’t anything new. They’d been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the ‘man’ in man-whore. He’s never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn’t want to risk their friendship by declaring her love. 
Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she’s perfect and she’s everything. But the feelings he has for her, he’s always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have. 
But when they’re stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor’easter, there’s nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.


Add best friend turned love interest, Kyler Quinn, to the list of swoon-worthy book boyfriends because he definitely fits every criteria and then some. He is so protective of Sydney, he puts her above everyone else including himself. And they can start a fire with the heat between these two. There is a bit of skinny love going on between the two best friends which they had thought was unrequited at first. Their dynamic starts getting a little rocky right when they leave for their trip, and even more so during and afterward. But soon their walls break down and the truth about their feelings for each other slips out. All the while surviving a brutal Nor'easter and someone who is out to kill them for bitter revenge. It's no easy feat for them to save their friendship, so working on getting back to the way things used to be or persuing a relationship is quite a challenge for these two. They say trips changes things, and Sydney and Kyler find out how.

Sydney's mom was hilarious, even over the phone. My mom and I's relationship is similar to Sydney's and her mom's relationship. I, like Sydney, am studying Psychology and whenever my mom and I are on the topic, she always mistakes it for therapist or psychiatrist just as Sydney's mom has. The conversations between them had me laughing tears, it sometimes took me a while to come up for air.

Frigid has romance, a ton of snow, one hilariously drunk Sydney moment, steamy bedroom scenes, mystery, and suspense to stir things up. The only thing missing was an epilogue. I would love see a bit more of where Sydney and Kyler ended up in their lives together. If Frigid 2 isn't about them, I'm guessing it'll be about their friends Andrea and Tanner. If you like a light read filled with romance and suspense in equal measure with an easy flow and a steady pace, this book is for you.




My personal favorite quotes from the book:
Sydney: “How much snow are they calling for?”
Kyler: “Somewhere between a lot and holy fuck."

Sydney: "Nice boxer shorts. Did your mom get them for you?”
Kyler: “No. Your mom did.”

Sydney [to Kyler]: "I want to strangle you. You have no idea how bad I want to kick you right now. I love you. I've loved you ever since you pushed me off the playground. I swear--I've loved you since then."

Kyler: “I will never regret being with you, Syd. Never. And I wish I could go back and relive those hours. I wish I could go back in time, and instead of hooking up with some chick, I’d man up and tell you how I really felt for you, how I’ve always felt for you.”
Sydney: "How you've always felt?"
Kyler: "I've loved you my entire life. And I would love you for the rest of my life if you'd let me, Syd."

Andrea: “What about the presents?”
Tanner: “Yeah, I don’t think that’s what Christmas is about.”
Andrea: “That is what Christmas is about. Anyone who says differently is trying to make themselves look all spiritual and shit. I keep it real.”

Sydney: “If you want a woman with a tight little kitty, then find one with itty bitty titties!”
Kyler: "God, you are so trashed."
Sydney: "You haven't heard the song. It's by Haven Palen Pole."
Kyler: "That would be David Allen Coe, baby."
Sydney: "That's what I said."
Kyler: "Whatever you say."

Sydney [referring to a mailbox]: "Son of a bitch jumped right out in front of me!"
Kyler: "You are a hazard to yourself."
Sydney: "I'm fine. [shoots dark look at said mailbox] I'm watching you."
Kyler: "Let me help you, okay? I'll get us both home in one piece and keep us far away from ninja mailboxes."

Kyler [to Sydney]: “If I fall and break my neck, will you say something nice at my funeral? Like 'Kyler was usually more graceful?'”

Andrea: "You don't look too busted up."
Sydney: "Gee, thanks, I think."
Andrea: "I'm glad you don't. Holy shit, girl, I still can't believe it. You could've died! Or worse."
Sydney: I wonder what was worse than dying.

Sydney: "Mom?"
Sydney's mom: "Sydney, is that you?"
Sydney: Unless there's another child I don't know about... "Yes, mom, it's me."

Sydney: "You're kidding, right?"
Sydney's mom: "Honey, you're going to school to be a psychiatrist--"
Sydney: "Psychologist."
Sydney: "Anyway. . ."

Sydney: "What does this say?"
Kyler: "You really want to know? [. . .] You're probably going to think it's stupid or you're going to be really surprised."
Sydney: "Now I'm really curious. Tell me. Please?"
Kyler: "It's in Sanskrit. It says, 'this is forever.'"
Sydney: "Does it mean what I think it means?"
Kyler:"Yeah, it means what you think it does."
Sydney: "You did this after we graduated high school? That long ago?"
Kyler: "Yes. It had just felt like something I needed to commit to, you know? That us, no matter in what way we were together, it was forever. [pause] What are you thinking?"
Sydney: "I'm thinking it's perfect. You're perfect."
Kyler: "I wouldn't go that far."
Sydney: "Look at you, being modest for once in your life. [pause] Kyler?"
Kyler: "Syd?"
Sydney: "I love you. And that is forever."



About the author
A pseudonym for Jennifer L. Armentrout.

http://www.jenniferarmentrout.com/why...
# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard about her state aren’t true.

Well, mostly. When she's not hard at work writing, she spends her time, reading, working out, watching zombie movies, and pretending to write.



Paper Charade © 2014